Chapel Gym is Wheathampstead's community fitness centre.
Welcome to Chapel Gym, your destination for a healthier and fitter lifestyle. Nestled in the heart of our community, Chapel Gym prides itself on providing a clean, welcoming environment where members can work out comfortably and confidently. Our friendly team of fitness experts is dedicated to creating a welcoming atmosphere for everyone, regardless of their fitness level or experience. At Chapel Gym, we believe in empowering our members with knowledgeable guidance and support, ensuring that each visit is not just about exercise, but about learning, growing, and achieving personal wellness goals. Join us using the GloFox APP (link below) and discover a fitness experience where cleanliness, friendliness, and expert knowledge come together for your ultimate well-being.
We’ve had some great quotes from our members already:
- Emma says “it’s really welcoming – it very muh feels like it’s for everyone, whatever your level. And with a gym on my doorstep it’s that bit easier to keep going when it’s a struggle to get fit. I’ve lost 1.5kg in 5 weeks.”
- Ed says “having a gym here is great for me because, as a blind person, I cannot drive and being able to go when fewer people are there makes it easier….It has the right safety and support for me – squat rack, benches and importantly helpful, knowledgeable staff”.
- Sammy says “I’ve loved using the Chapel Gym since it’s opened. Everyone has been so welcoming and the gym has everything I need – the resistance machines and cables have really helped my recovery from a knee injury. It’s a friendly environment and so handy to have it right in the village.
Current opening times
Gym class timetable
Monday 07.00 to 20.30
Tuesday 07.00 to 20.30
Wednesday 07.00 to 20.30
Thursday 07.00 to 20.30
Saturday 09.00 to 13.00
Sunday 10.00 to 14.00
These are classes held within the Chapel Gym or Chapel Halls. Please use the GloFox APP or the booking facility below to book a place in advance. There is a small additional charge for members when booking the Yoga classes (Monday 18.30 and Wednesday 09.15), Pilates (Tuesdays at 11.30am) and Resistance Movement (Wednesdays at 2.30pm) – and all the classes are also available to non-gym members.
Our membership fees from 1 June 2023 are:
£24.50 per month
£265 for a year
£21.50 per month
£225 for a year
At some point we will need to become VAT registered so the prices will increase.
How to access GloFox software - this is your gateway to registering, booking classes etc. at The Chapel Gym.
The Chapel Gym
Case Study – Liz
Liz is 74 and started using the Gym a few months ago. She has a complex peripheral neuropathy which has gradually progressed over a number of years (possibly from chemotherapy quite a few years ago but the doctors are unsure). In the last year she became disabled as the disease has taken feeling from both feet, as high as her knees. She now struggles to balance and is unable to walk independently. Liz lives one road away from the Gym. She says:
“I enjoy walking and my husband accompanies me to walk 10,000 steps each day, as far as possible. The physiotherapist at UCLH recommended that I use an exercise bike. So when the gym opened it made sense to check it out. I waited until a recumbent bike was purchased before I joined. A friend, Susanna, now walks me to the Gym and back.
From my first visit the Chapel Gym Manager has been amazing: he could not have been more helpful. He is patient, professional and reassuring. I could not use the equipment without his help. What was great was that last time I went to the gym he said try this……and I followed a strength programme and felt I had achieved more and I’m thinking that I will challenge myself in the new year.
I don’t know the name of the piece of equipment I use. The Gym Manager chose it because I was struggling to keep my feet on the recumbent bike. There is no question that going to the gym makes me happy in the way that walking does. It’s the only cardiovascular exercise that I can do so I am sure it is helping me. On the days I go to the gym my husband gets an hour of freedom too.
Feedback from Beneficiaries:
- Emma says “it’s really welcoming – it very much feels like it’s for everyone, whatever your level. I work full time and now with a local family gym on our doorstep it makes keeping fit so much easier for the whole family when we’re juggling school and work. Now I can just walk up to the Gym straight after work, it’s so convenient and I can work out every day which I didn’t do before, even just for half an hour. My husband and son have joined too. It’s brilliant. I’ve lost 1.5 kg in five weeks.
- Ed says “having a gym here is great for me because, as a blind person, I cannot drive and being able to go when fewer people are there makes it easier….It has the right safety and support for me – squat rack, benches and importantly helpful, knowledgeable staff”
- Sammy says “I’ve loved using the Chapel Gym since it’s opened. The Gym Manager has been so welcoming and the gym has everything I need – the resistance machines and cables have really helped my recovery from a knee injury. It’s a friendly environment and so handy to have it right in the village.
- Tamsyn says: “Just wanted to say a big thank you to all that were/are involved with The Chapel Gym. I recently joined and after years of not being a gym member and just working out at home it’s so refreshing to find a local friendly gym with such great equipment and classes. I’ve been going to the circuits and tabata classes and they are fab – tailored to each individual with great teacher knowledge and encouragement. I’m loving it.”
- Jenny says: “Just in the village, walkable to. The Gym Manager is great, as is Karl, love the machines, the weights, the mats, the stained-glass windows. Very reasonable prices too.
- Russell says: “Just started using the Chapel Gym, lovely little gym and well done all who have got this up and running. Would definitely recommend it if your local and want to start getting fit/fitter!”
- Lauren: The Chapel Gym is great! Such a friendly, welcoming gym in a fabulous building. I work there as a PT and can’t rate it highly enough.”
- Andy says: “I live literally 30 seconds around the corner and so it’s very useful to get to. I do a lot of running, three times a week or so but haven’t really done much other exercise for years. And as I’m getting older I need to do a bit more primarily resistance work, with weights, and I haven’t got that equipment at home. It’s here, it’s convenient so I pop round and use the kit here. It’s great.
- Natasha says: “Been down for ‘soft opening via invite’. The Gym Manager was incredibly helpful and my son has now had his induction. Thank you.”
- Anne says: “Chapel gym Wheathampsted beautiful, friendly and lots of classes if needed